Call Deadline: April 01, 2019
April-May 2019: Successful applicants are notified
June 2019: Fellows take part in a one-day Bootcamp in Brussels
Between June and September 2019: Students work at their host news organizations
The Google News Initiative Fellowship connects students who want to explore the intersection between journalism and technology with news organizations.
The successful candidates will kick off their careers in the news industry by spending their summer working with experts in newsrooms and creating a professional network.
In 2019 the European Journalism Centre offers 40 fellowship placements in 11 European countries. The GNI Fellowship is funded by the Google News Initiative and is also available worldwide. Find out more about the programme in non-EU countries here.
Who is eligible for the GNI Fellowship?
- The GNI Fellowship is for students who are enrolled in or accepted for an accredited higher education institution in the same country as their newsroom of choice; or if they are from the country where the newsroom is based.
- This includes undergraduate, master, and Ph.D. students.
- We accept both full-time and part-time students, as long as the candidate is enrolled in an accredited higher education institution as of 1 January 2019.
- It is the individual student’s responsibility to ensure that he or she is legally permitted to work in the country where he or she applies.
- You may only apply to one organization.
- You are enrolled in a higher education institution based in the country of the newsroom you choose to apply for.
- Students enrolled in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any of the organizations based in these three countries.
How to Apply
You may select one newsroom* in the country in which you’re currently studying. You can submit your application by filling out this form. The news organizations are in charge of reviewing and selecting their fellow.
Check our FAQ page to see if you are eligible to apply.
*Please note that we’re still adding newsrooms to the scheme.