Call Deadline: October 13, 2019
Location: Beijing, China
The overall objective of the EU funded SWITCH-Asia program is to promote sustainable and inclusive growth, contribute to the economic prosperity and poverty reduction in Asia and Central Asia and to a transition towards a low-carbon, resource-efficient, and circular economy.
What are the Objectives of the Academy?
- To shift mindsets and inspire action towards a circular economy across young professionals in Asia.
- To increase knowledge and understanding of the circular economy by future decision-makers.
- To enhance a network of junior professionals across Asia in the field of a circular economy.
- To showcase circular economy policies and best practices.
- Participation will be open to participants from the 18 countries (see the chapter of ‘how to apply to the academy ’). Economy travel, accommodation, and course registration will be covered.
- Why should I join?
The Academy stimulates the sharing of experiences, cases studies and stories from Asia and the EU on the circular economy. It includes:
- Interdisciplinary, project-based, and participatory approaches.
- The possibility of being part of a growing network of young professionals working with a circular economy in Asia.
Who attends this Academy?
- Young participants from countries in Asia who are already working on a topic related to the circular economy. Junior Government professionals
- Junior private sector professionals or development consultants
- Junior professionals from the civil society sector
The Academy Agenda
The Academy will be conducted in five days and will cover the following topics :
- Why are we talking about CE?
- The concept of CE – origins and theoretical background
- Policies – the role of regulations and policies for CE
- Innovation and technology – the role of innovation and technology for CE
- Business models – innovative business models for CE
- Finance – innovate financial instruments for CE
- Behavioral change and communication – how behavioral change and communication relate to achieving a CE
- Indicators – how to define CE performance
Case studies from Europe and Asia will be used to illustrate every topic.
Candidates meeting the following criteria could apply to participate in the 2019 SWITCH-Asia Leadership Academy Leadership for Circular Economy program:
- Citizen or national of one of the following countries: Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka;
- To be one of the following: i) Junior Government professionals; ii)Junior private sector professionals; iii)Junior professionals from the civil society sector;
- To be already working on a topic related to Circular Economy.
Candidates are required to have completed as a minimum a first university degree in environment, development, engineering, policy, economics or relevant discipline. Completion of postgraduate degree and/or professional training relevant to sustainable development would be considered favorably. To apply for Leadership for Circular Economy program, participants should:
- Complete online application form
- Prepare an application letter explaining the circular economy topic they are currently working on and how they plan to apply the knowledge of this Academy to this work (1-3 pages)
- Provide a brief CV (one page)
- Provide a copy of degrees obtained
Mr. Mushtaq Ahmed Memon
Regional Coordinator for Resource Efficiency
UN Environment, Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
Regional Policy Advocacy Component
(SWITCH-Asia – the European Union-funded programme)